For more than a century no institution has been more peculiarly British than the Clubs to recreate social features of their lives in colonies and settlements. Clubs were transported with a slightly exotic air with a specific purpose such as racing or Baccarat.

In the tropical environs of the British Crown the clubs provided a welcome respite from the pains of exile or loneliness, to spend an idle half hour or a welcome solution for bachelors unused to housekeeping chores.

The idea of setting up the club was mooted in 1826 in the Town Hall and Col Finch became the first President of the erstwhile Calcutta United Service Club.

Sir Stapleton Cotton the first Viscount Combermere was the original member and first patron of the club. The Committee of the Club held its first meeting on February 22, 1827, a resolution was passed regarding the list of members and rules which were referred to as the “Rules of the Bengal Club” the name by which the club has always therafter been known.

Of the first 500 members, one hundred belonged to the Bench, Bar and clergy, the rest being service members. At first it was intended that those engaged in Commerce would be eligible for membership. However eventually members of professions other than the Law and the Church would therefore be ineligible, as also men of business.  It is evident that this could not be the Draftsman’s intention as the members of the Bench, Bar and Clergy must have been a mere handful..

The original rules disallowed sending of food and wine outside the premises for consumption. The chit system was not in prevalence and members had to settle bills before leaving the premises. The first premises of the club was a four storeyed block in Esplanade East known as Gordon’s building at a rent of Rs 800/= per month. They provided not only public rooms but bedrooms at a rent of Rs 4/= per month. Gordons Building was demolished and the site housed the Imperial Library.

A painting by William Wood in 1830 shows the club overlooking a waste of maidan and puddle run over by cattle and dogs which was replaced by Curzon Park. The launch credit for the excellent cuisine re venison goes to Thomas Payne the first steward who subsequently started an ice business of his own, till an Ice House was set up on Hare Street.

Col Finch was succeeded by Charles Metcalfe who remained President for eleven years. Lord William Bentick became the second patron after the departure of Lord Combermere in  1830.

The financial distress about this time converted the prevalent lifestyle to quiet and modest. For many years there were no banquets or club festivities. Mackintish and Co failed their credit by Rs 26 lacs in the market of which  Rs 40k was deposit from the club.

It was about this time the club premises were shifted to 4 Dalhousie Square near the Tank Square.  Post the Club leaving these premises, these were occupied for a brief while by Bodelio’s Emporium of Fashion and then by publishers W neuman and Co till their demolition.

Sir Willoughby took over the Presidency from 1838. In 1840 the Club presented a Cup for the Calcutta Races. It was  intended for an ice pail and it could hold three bottles, the centre one for champagne. The elegance of the Cup moved the Press to rhapsody.  The ancient galley, sea horses, with Victoria on the prow with trumpets in one hand and crown in the other hand for the winner.  Neptune on the stern with his trident, the centre decorated with heads of Satyr all on an embossed salver. Messrs Hamilton gained renown for the exceptional execution of this trophy.

A resolution in 1838 to reciprocate with the Byculla Club marks the beginning of a cordial connection ever since maintained among the foremost clubs of India.

After Sir Willoughby  Lord Ellenborough took on the Presidentship of the club. Hitherto the Presidents of the Club were from the profession of Arms or the Executive. In 1844 began a dynasty of Supreme Court Judges lasting 14 years. The first of these was Sir John Peter Grant.

In 1845 the building was shifted again to the residence of Macaulay, the property owned by Babu Kali Prasanna Singh of Jorasanko, also renowned for his Bengali translation of the Mahabharata. The premises 1 Park Street and 1/1 Russel Street were taken on a lease of 30 years.

Arthur Bullers Presidency of the Club coincided with the Sepoy Mutiny. He is best known as having married the belle of Calcutta, the daughter of Colonel William Kirkpatrick, the Orientalist.

Colonel Rivett Carnac’s “Many memories” helps us to construct the picture of the club life of Calcutta. Those appointed to the Indian Civil Services had to undergo a two years course at the East Indian Haileybury College.  The Bengal Club was greatly affected by the Haileybury civilians or the Competition wallahs. There was cricket, racing paper chases and one could sit up late, dine on heavy suppers at the Bengal Club.

1n 1860 General Sir James Outram became president by far the most romantic. His father Benjamin Outram a civil engineer was the eponymous inventor of the “Tram”. He inspired loyalty and affection and was a very perfect and gentle knight. Though an officer of the Indian Army, his primary concern was the well being of the British soldier.  He distributed his life  earnings to military and civil charities. He spent considerable sums to purchase books for regimental libraries and the Outram Institute in Dum Dum cantonment was the first “Soldiers Club” in India.  After Wellington, who described his soldiers as the scum of the earth, Outram believed in their inherent goodness and believed that if treated well, they would reciprocate appropriately.

1864 to 1870 all presidents were closely associated with the newly  established  High Court by the Letter Patent in 1862. It amalgamated the authority of the supreme court deriving its authority fro charter of 1774 and the two “Company” courts Sudder Dewany Adalat And Sudder Nizamat Adalat.  The existing judges of the Supreme Court and the Sudder Dewany became the judges of the High court.

Charles Marten’s appointment as President brought in a new era as he was neither a member of the Services nor of the learned professions. He was a prominent broker well known for his interest in racing and sports of every kind. He can be credited with founding the line of Presidents of the Chanberand other rich men who have directed the destinies of the Club.

Dr T Oldham was a President of great scientific achievements. He was Superintendent of the Geographical Survey of India   and President of the Asiatic Society.

In 1873 the Club hosted a Ball after which Ladies Dinners and Balls became fairly common. The last mention of a Ball is in 1889 given in honour of HRH Prince Albert Victor. In November 1911 ladies were invited for the last time.

In 1875 the lease was renewed for a further 20 years.  Sweepstakes on the Derby  were introduced in 1879 and abandoned in 1890.

In 1881 Henry Prinsep was the President.

In 1895 on the expiry of the lease a proposal was mooted to acquire a new site to the South West of the junction of Camac Street and Theatre Road. As an alternative 11 Chowringhee thereinafter occupied by Army and Navy stores was suggested. Both ideas were shelved and in 1907 the club purchased the same property as   freehold land for Rs 5.5 lacs and in the same year formed itself into a registered company.

A competition for a design was held in which Mr Vincent Esch a well known Calcutta Architect was successful. . the contract for work was entrusted to Bengal Stone Company.

At the request of the Corporation a stone was placd on the West wall bearing the inscription

“ in the house which formally stood on this site and was dismantled in 1908 resided Thomas Babington Macaulay, Law Member of the Supreme Council 1834-38”

 

During the construction period the members of the Bengal United Club offered their hospitality to the members of the Bengal Club. The new premises were inaugurated on November 17th 1914 when an afternoon At Home was given to which ladies were invited. On Christmas of the same year Their Imperial Majesties visited Calcutta and presented their portraits to the Club. Among the many honours won by the members, the most remarkable is the Bar to the Victoria Cross awarded to Lt Colonel Martin Leake.

 

On December 30th 1921 the club entertained HRH the Prince of WALES at luncheon and he gave the club a signed photograph. The centenary celebrations the ambitious plan of the Costume Ball was replaced by a traditional banquet. President O s Martin raised a toast and the occasion was feted by Sir George Rankin the Chief Justice of Bengal among others. A ladies At Home was celebrated yet again to return to the spirit of celibacy yet again.

 

It was customary to re-elect a President for several years. It is interesting to note that, Sir Charles Metcalfe held the chair for 11 years in succession. Probably since the early years of the 20th century, the system of customary annual rotation has become the practice.

The Club was registered as a limited company in 1907, but due to financial crisis caused by its restrictive membership policy  and heavily encumbered by debt, the Club had to leave the front building and consolidate its operations on the adjoining building with its entrance on Russell Street. It is the present home of the Club. On the other hand the Chatterjee International Building and Metro Rail Bhavan were constructed in the space vacated by the Bengal Club.

After independence of India and the consequent  partition of Bengal in 1947, the question to continue the Club with the same name came up. At this juncture, Sir C. Rajagopalachari, the then Governor of Bengal, advised the Club officials to retain its heritage name. During1950s, the Club reformed its regulations radically and first established married quarters in 1954. Membership for Indians were opened in 1959 and then in 1990 they took the revolutionary decision to accept ladies as members in their own right. Dress codes were constantly reviewed from time to time and altered, if necessary.

The Bengal Club  is the oldest surviving club of its kind in India  and  is considered as one of the oldest clubs in the world.